Sunday, September 17, 2006

Spinach, it's the new hamburger

Really, how could this be? Bags of spinach?
You know you think you do the right thing. Each day this week, I've put a handful of spinach on my boys' plates and told them to eat up.

Friday night I fed the boys and they ate fistfuls of the leafy greens. Hunka walked in the door from work and told me to throw out the bag of spinach. Now, I'll be the first to admit I've picked out some slimy, questionable leaves and eaten the rest. But how, I wondered, could my perseptive hubby know the state of the spinach from across the room.

He told me about the E-Coli threat found in bags of spinach and how it has been all over the news. Now I do try to sneak in bits of info from the outside world when I can, via radio or internet. But when you are in a full Higgly haze of Cheerios, Resue Heroes, and non-stop clutter, I just didn't get in my up to the minute news.

I talked to my kindred friend via phone about this latest in our motherly woes and she says without missing a beat, "You know you never heard this stuff about NACHOES!"

So true....has there ever been a scare involving Ben and Jerry's Chubby Hubby ice cream? Lay's Potato sour cream and onion chips? Cheese curls? No of course not. Now there just may be a message in there somewhere.

No comments: